I’ve been working with a small group of people who are organizing the first Sunshine Coast Mushroom Fest, to be held here in Madeira Park on October 16-18. As we blue-skied about what we wanted this festival to look like and wondered who we should invite to speak at our first event, David Arora’s name came up, as in, “Wouldn’t it be great if we could somehow get David Arora up this way to talk to us?”
Well, guess what? David’s driving up from California in October to attend a couple of other mushroom events in these parts, and said he’d be more than happy to take part in our little mushroom celebration. He’ll be speaking the evening of October 17, then taking a limited number of people (thirty) on a foray/ID workshop on Sunday the 18th. Registration will take place through the Iris Griffith Interpretive Centre – I’m not sure when details will be up on their website (www.lagoonsociety.com), but if you can possibly make it here on that weekend, it will be well worth it.
We went into the forest on the weekend, not expecting to find anything in the way of fungus (given our current long spell of hot, very, very dry weather), so I was thrilled to find one mossy stump with four of these beauties – Paxillus atrotomentosus, aka Tapinella atrotomentosa) growing out of the wood. I’d found a couple on this same stump last year and expected to find some later in the month, after our usual August rains.
These were clearly drying out – note the cracks on the cap – so I picked them, but left the other button-sized speciments to flesh out a bit.
The other little mushroom I referred to in my last post came out of the freezer this week and is currently sitting in a jar of water in the full sun, and the liquid has turned brown. I’ll let it cook there until our next rain (please let that be soon!), then see what colour results.
I’ve found a couple of small Velvet Pax (Paxillus atrotomentosus or Tapinella atrotomentosa) in the forest behind us, one on a mossy stump and one at the base of a dead tree (on which are also growing some varnished conk). I was surprised to find them so early, but apparently the June rains brought them out. They weren’t as large as those in the image here, but they were still unmistakeable, with the brown velvet on their stems and the purplish discoloration where the bugs or squirrels had nibbled at them.
Of course, I had to try the first little specimen (its cap was already cracking) in the dyepot, and here are the results. This is the mushroom that has been known to give a purple colour, but here the alum-mordanted sample (top) has a definite greenish cast, while the iron-mordanted sample below is a nice army-blanket green.
The second mushroom I found is currently sitting in the freezer; I’m wondering if that might make a difference to the colour.
Here’s a variation on the mushroom bowl: a bowler hat! It’s still sitting on the metal bowl I used as a form, but it should be ready to pop away in a few days. Given the shrinkage rate of this paper, I doubt the hat will fit on my own head, but maybe someone will find it useful.
I’ve been playing with mushroom paper beads lately, as well as using turkey tails for making jewelry – a whole new world, this, but a good way to spend evenings in front of the TV.
Once the beads are dry, I drill holes in them with my Dremel, then string them onto some twine and brush on a few coats of Verathane, for strength and waterproofing. Then they’re ready to use. For the whole turkeytails, I Dremel the top edge so it’s fairly flat, then drill a hole in the top for the wire loops.
All of these pieces will get tossed into the freezer for a few days, just to make sure no little critters remain inside!
Here are two views of the same bowls. I used a turkey baster to place the different colours on the screens for the paper that was to become the insides of the bowls, and for the outside textures, just pressed damp mushroom pulp on the core of each bowl (which was made of conk pulp). These were molded over glass bowls, on which I’d sprayed some Pam to act as a release. After sitting covered overnight, I put them outside in a shaded area until I could see the pulp wanting to shrink away from the bowl. With a little “nudge” from a knife blade, they popped right off. To keep them from warping, though, I left them sitting on the glass bowls until they were thoroughly dry.
It’s been too long since my last post. Papermaking mushrooms can be found year-round, so I’ve been collecting and processing them, then when time allows, I can continue to play with papermaking.
This is a conk – Fomitopsis pinicola – mentioned in an earlier post as the one that makes the strongest paper and which I use as a base when making mushroom bowls.
Sometimes its appearance is paler, as shown here. I like to find them when they’re very young – they’re white and look like little marshmallows growing on the side of a tree or log. I keep track of these “nurse trees” in my internal GPS – I may have trouble remembering things, but my brain has imprinted the locations of special mushrooms!
CELEBRATING THE BEAUTY OF SUNSHINE COAST MUSHROOMS