This has to be the longest project I’ve ever undertaken, but at least I can say it’s done, close to four years from the day I first announced my impulsive decision to make the Petals Wrap (featured on the cover of Crochet So Fine by Kristin Omdahl).
I certainly didn’t work on it every day of those four years (but the thought of working on it crossed my mind every day), and I don’t want to think of the number of hours I spent on this, but now that it’s done, I can crumple it up and toss it into the back of a drawer (just joking—but I could do so and pull it out a year later to find it unwrinkled).
I ended up adapting the pattern considerably. By the time I reached the point where the sleeves were to be added, I was getting worried about my supply of mushroom-dyed handspun silk. That’s when I looked at the pattern reviews on Ravelry, only to read that a bottom section I had yet to add looked disturbingly like a flounce—dare I say in many cases like a ruffle? Plus, that and the sleeves would take as much fibre as I’d alreadys used in the front and back sections. That information, along with the fact that it was only two months until Symposium week, led to my choice to forget sleeves and flounce and turn it into a tunic/vest instead. I’m pleased with that decision.
And I finally found a use for the bear hair I found all those many years ago and, sadly, ruined by steaming. I was concerned about germs, but I would have had such long, strong fibres if I hadn’t worried about a bit of poo getting under the fingernails. Anyway, I’ve been hanging on to a little pile of tiny broken fibres, wondering if I should try spinning from a toothpick-sized puni. Instead, I decided to mold it with white glue into the shape of a mushroom to embellish the crocheted button I added at the neckline. Problem is, the stem broke off somewhere during the Symposium, so now all I’m left with is something that looks for all the world like a little plop of black, shiny . . . bear poo.