Chroogomphus tomentosus

I learned this year that Chroogomphus tomentosus (Woolly Pine Spike) is edible, but I also heard it might serve as a passable dye mushroom, so my dyepot got first dibs. This is what resulted: a pink with insufficient intensity (considering how many mushrooms went into the dyepot) to make me want to use it again. The small piece of wool on the left was the sample that went through the initial boiling of the mushrooms; the roving on the right, which went into the pot after I strained out the mushrooms,  picked up much less colour.

Next year I’ll give them to the chef (my dearest) and see if they might have more magic  in the cookpot!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s