My freezer has been home to masses of frozen Ramaria collected for the Fungi and Fibre Symposium dyepots, but I wanted to be sure it would give some good colour after being frozen for nine months. My earlier experiments with the frozen version of this mushroom resulted in a decent purple, but I didn’t want to take a chance on seeing a dozen international visitors hovering over a dyepot, watching and waiting for purple. And ending up with a blah beige.
So this lovely orange coral appeared in my Back Forty at the perfect time, when plans for the event are ticking along nicely and when my hands really needed to get into some dyepots. The coral came home with me and went straight into my sample dyepot along with a few strands of iron-mordanted yarn.
The results amounted to a revelation. I recant my previous musings about frozen Ramaria and about keeping the dyepot temperature on the low side. Here’s what happened (laid out on grey cardstock—the colours are true, at least on my screen) :
First, it doesn’t appear that the purple from Ramaria is quite so finicky as the other purple-bestowing mushrooms when it comes to temperatures (specifically Tapinella atrotomentosa and Omphalotus olivascens, which need to be watched carefully and pulled at ~160° F). Clearly the dyebath shouldn’t be allowed to reach boiling, but 170° F was the optimum for the first two sets of samples.
My second discovery: freezing Ramaria works if done for a short time but not for the nine months I subjected my stash to. So I returned the Symposium orange coral to the forest floor, and now I’m hoping for an outstanding harvest this year so our registrants won’t be disappointed.
At the same time as I found the Ramaria, I also found Clavulina coralloides in various stages of infection with Helminthosphaeria clavariarum, a fungus that routinely parasitizes this little coral.
Since I was planning on doing some sampling anyway, I decided to try this one too—with the darkest of the infected coral—on the off chance the deep purple of the parasite might translate into the dyepot, again with an iron-mordanted test strand.
More grey than purple, but clearly darker with more heat. Worth playing with some more? I don’t think so.
5 thoughts on “Rethinking Ramaria”
Great research, thanks for the tips with ramari….purple would be good, lol
Yeah, and I like the earlier tip about using just the caps of the Velvet Pax. Just got back from a forest walk where I found four little ones. Protected them from slugs as best I could, to leave them to grow for another week or so. I’m going to see what they do on dog hair.
Very interesting! Thanks for the comprehensive research. I love seeing those results – although, I know they will most likely vary if/when I try to reproduced them 😉
Sorry for the delay in responding, Janna – lots of stuff happening at once! Thanks for your kind comments, and I hope you’re considering giving mushroom dyeing a try. We’re certainly in the right place for it!